Tuesday, 13 October 2009
Another Could You Be Your Own Boss? workshop confirmed – this time in Carlow. Hosted by Carlow County Enterprise Board (details on their website), in the Talbot Hotel, Carlow, on Friday, 6 November 2009. See you there!
Friday, 7 August 2009
Three Could You Be Your Own Boss? workshops planned for September:
Monday, 7 September (afternoon), Wicklow – see Wicklow County Enterprise Board website for details / booking.
Friday, 11 September (morning), Waterford – see Waterford City Enterprise Board website for details / booking.
Monday, 21 September (afternoon), Longford – see Longford County Enterprise Board website for details / booking.
Tuesday, 17 March 2009
At a ‘Possibility 2009’ workshop in Cork last week, run by Padraig Cleary of May Day Management Consultants (www.maydaymanagement.ie), participants were given this beautiful and entirely appropriate poem from Benedictus by John O’Donohue. Read and enjoy!
For a New Beginning
In out-of-the-way places of the heart,
Where your thoughts never think to wander,
This beginning has been quietly forming,
Waiting until you were ready to emerge.
For a long time it has watched your desire,
Feeling the emptiness grow inside you,
Noticing how you willed yourself on,
Still unable to leave what you had outgrown.
It watched you play with the seduction of safety
And the grey promises that sameness whispered,
Heard the waves of turmoil rise and relent,
Wondered would you always live like this.
Then the delight, when your courage kindled,
And out you stepped onto new ground,
Your eyes young again with energy and dream,
A path of plenitude opening before you.
Though your destination is not clear
You can trust the promise of this opening;
Unfurl yourself into the grace of beginning
That is one with your life’s desire.
Awaken your spirit to adventure;
Hold nothing back, learn to find ease in risk;
Soon you will be home in a new rhythm
For your soul senses the world that awaits you.
(C) 2007 John O’Donohue – www.johnodonohue.com
Just beautiful! Should be required reading for all would-be entrepreneurs. If it doesn’t speak to you, perhaps you’re not ready yet?
Monday, 9 March 2009
On Saturday, I presented the second Could You Be Your Own Boss? workshop in Cavan for the Cavan CEB – the next one is in Castleblayney, tomorrow night (Tuesday, 10 March), for the Monaghan CEB, following a successful debut in Limerick for Limerick County CEB. With all the doom and gloom on the TV, radio and newspapers, it’s very heartening to see so many people actively considering a start-up. Good luck to you all!
Thursday, 5 March 2009
1. It’s going to be harder than you imagine.
2. It’s going to take longer and cost more than you think.
3. The ONLY thing that matters is sales.
4. WHO you know is more important than WHAT you know.
5. No-one cares how your technology works – only that it DOES.
6. Your bank manager is not your friend.
7. You have no entitlement to support from State agencies.
8. Whatever your business plan shows, that won’t happen – but you still need to plan (in fact, that’s WHY you need to plan).
9. Cash is more important than profitability – but you must show CREDIBLY how you are going to get to profitability – and when.
10. And, last, despite all the above, if it’s right for you, it’ll be the best thing you’ve ever done!
If you’re at BizCamp Limerick on 21 March, I’ll fill you in on the thinkng behind these truths.